Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Priory Market, Tallaght #1297
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    I went along to Priory Market yesterday afternoon. It’s an impressive set-up. They don’t have all the advertised beers on yet, but there were more than I expected. From the four serving tanks they have a session IPA, IPA, pale ale and Helles. On keg there’s a weissbier, red, double IPA and pils, plus Whiplash Slow Life as a guest beer. They’re advertising their own stout, a bock and a sour ale as well, but they weren’t pouring yet. Pints are €6.

    The quality was pretty good: all solidly-made brewpub crowd-pleasers. I really hope they manage to keep it up. It has the feel of Messrs Maguire/JW Sweetman just after one of its optimistic reboots. It would be a shame if it went the way they did.

    in reply to: Priory Market, Tallaght #1296
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    Stand back, influencers. Old-school beer blogger coming through.
    Any idea what they’re doing for a licence, Cian? Nothing on the Revenue list yet, but presumably they’ll need a 7-day pub for beer and wine until 11pm.

    in reply to: Dublin Beer Festival 2025 #1291
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    Thanks Simon! I’ve sent your details on to Bruce.

    in reply to: Black Donkey Closing #1285
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    There might still be some in Blackrock Cellar for the next while. That’s the only place I saw it in Dublin.

    in reply to: Black Donkey Closing #1281
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    Ah, that’s a shame. Their recent wild stuff had been excellent, but nearly impossible to buy.

    in reply to: Dublin Beer Festival 2025 #1279
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    The updated website is here: https://dublinbeerfest.ie/

    The international breweries are in need of helpers to cover breaks – four per day. If anyone’s interested in assisting, in exchange for free admission, let me know and I can put you in touch with the organiser.

    in reply to: Death of Martyn Cornell #1278
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster
    in reply to: Nominations for 2025 elections #1275
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    Thanks John.

    With one nomination each for Chair and Treasurer, these positions will be filled by me and John respectively. I’ll make arrangements regarding the PRO and Cider Officer positions.

    in reply to: EBCU online seminar: Gluten-free beer, 13th May #1269
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    This is up on YouTube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaLKtqMxf88

    in reply to: Possibility of a guide to independent Irish beer? #1267
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    I left this thread sitting to see if there was any further interest, because I think it would be a very labour intensive project. I think we have our answer, unfortunately.

    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    You don’t need to buy bottles if you drink bottled beer, just keep and re-use ones you have. You just need caps and a capper.

    Priming sugar is for batch priming, which is the best way to ensure consistent carbonation. When you’re ready to bottle you measure the amount of sugar you need for the desired carbonation level, dissolve it in boiling water and add it to the fermenter before bottling.

    Carbonation drops are easier: they’re just lumps of sugar and you pop one in each bottle as you add the beer. You don’t have any control over the level of carbonation, though, and occasionally it doesn’t take.

    So I’d be inclined to go for the priming sugar, but if it sounds too complicated for first time out, carbonation drops are the simple option.

    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    Generally speaking, the darker styles work better for kits. Especially avoid the ones claiming to be lager. The bigger kits which provide all the fermentable material work better than the smaller ones which need you to top up with extra spraymalt. Kit brewing is a good way to learn the important basics like hygiene and gravity measurement without investing too much in it.

    in reply to: Nominations for 2025 elections #1259
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    I nominate myself for the position of Chair. I have no financial links to the drinks industry.

    in reply to: Customised Glassware #1255
    TheBeerNut
    Keymaster

    It’s an ideal reminder that youth and freshness are all-important and nothing really improves with age.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 135 total)