The Franciscan Well Brewpub's annual winter beer festival, Cask Ales & Strange Brews, always features a most interesting selection of one-offs and special editions from Irish breweries. As is traditional at this stage, Beoir was invited to assemble a team of judges to put the beers through their paces and pick category winners and the best in show.
A total of 30 beers were divided into four categories and assessed by a team of eight experienced judges, under the supervision of Reuben Gray, ably assisted by Derek Sheridan. The winners were as follows:
- Reuben Gray
The Irish Craft Beer Festival is back this September and is bigger than ever with over 50 brewers, cideries and distillers.
As usual, Beoir members receive a 50% entry discount at the door with a valid, in date membership card. If you want to try and win tickets to the event, keep an eye on the social media. The Beoir Twitter and Beoir Facebook accounts will have a competition each weekend for a pair of tickets. That's a chance to win on both Facebook and Twitter so keep an eye out on Friday to Sunday for details with the winner on each platform announced on Monday. We will run the competition this weekend and next weekend.
If you wish to volunteer, check the Beoir Member forum for details.
Tickets are available here for non Beoir members. Beoir members wanting to avail of the discount, do so at the door.
- Reuben Gray
- Yellowbelly Brewery– Yellow Belly, American Pale Ale
- Killarney Brewing – Killarney, Scarlet Pimpernel IPA
- Farmageddon Brewing Co-Op, Farmageddon IPA
- Killarney Brewing Company, Spailpín Saison
- O Brother Brewing, Huck Saison
- Rising Sons Brewery, Mayhem
- Yellowbelly Brewery, Fierce Mild
- JJ’s Craft, Bills Red Ale
- Brehon Brewhouse, Killanney Red
Specially Commended: Two Sisters – Brigid's Ale
Specially Commended: O Brother – The Fixer
- St Mels Brewing, Springbock
- Trouble Brewing, Kill Lager
- Manor Brewing, Mont Irish Mountain Beer
- Kinnegar Brewing, Flying Saucer
- The White Hag Brewery, Black Boar
- Trouble Brewing. Dark Arts
- Trouble Brewing, Stakeout
- Kinnegar Brewing, White Rabbit
- Hillstown Brewery, The Goat’s Butt
- Yellowbelly Brewing, The Passion Brewing
- The Porterhouse Brewing Company, Louder Barley Wine
- Rascal's, Ginger Porter
Specially Commended: White Hag – Barrel-Aged Black Boar
- The White Hag Brewery, The Púca Dry Hopped Lemon Sour
- Otterbank Brewing, This is Berlin / Die Wikinger Kommen
- Torc Brewing Company, Anything Gose
- Stonewell Cider – Esterre Sparkling Prestige Applewine
- Stonewell Cider – Stonewell Dry Cider New World Cider
- Stonewell Cider – Stonewell Medium Cider New World Cider