BIAB

For those of us brewing with malted barley, as opposed to malt extract. It's not as hard as it sounds, so why not give it a go? The mash tun beckons.
crashbang
Beoir Member

BIAB

Post by crashbang » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:18 am

Ok so got pretty much everything ready to go for my first BIAB attempt, just wanted to check about the amount of grains.

Can I just copy the ingredients straight off any all grain recipe or should I adjust the amount of grain at all?

Thanks

k

Lugh Longhand
Beoir Member

Re: BIAB

Post by Lugh Longhand » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:39 am

No need to adjust grain but there is a higher water/grain ratio so you might need to adjust mash temp
Since when has popularity been a measure of quality?

Lugh Longhand
Beoir Member

Post by Lugh Longhand » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:41 am

Sorry I meant strike water temp
Since when has popularity been a measure of quality?

crashbang
Beoir Member

Post by crashbang » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:53 pm

Sound, I'll see what way the temperature works out

joe_h

Post by joe_h » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Similar question here. I'm interested in All Grain but don't have the budget for the extra equipment yet so would like to have a go at BIAB.

I've found this all grain recipe which I'd like to convert: http://www.brewmate.net/recipes/4Z6NVXr ... fTicGi.xml

The other problem is I only have a 14L stockpot and would like to brew a 23L batch. So a partial BIAB...? Would this be possible or will I not be able to disolve enough sugars in the 12L (allowing space). Maybe have to top up with DME?

Lars

BIAB

Post by Lars » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi Joe, check out maxi-BIAB on the biabrewer.info site. I think there's a calculator for doing exactly what u want.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:44 am

+1 to Lars comment, check out the biabrewer site for information, but don't invest too much time or effort in the site it's bound to disappoint eventually.

joe_h

Post by joe_h » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks, that sent me in the right direction. Couldn't make much sense of their calculator though. :?:

I've had a look at several instructions and youtube videos now - does this look about right?

Steep full grains @ 66C for 90mins (times vary from 60-90min but since I'll only have 12L mash for my 23L batch I'm guessing I'll need a long mash, possibly even 120min).

Then remove bag, place in colander and pour hot (also 66C?) water over the grain to bring the volume back up as high as possible after soakage.

Then bring to a boil and start a 60min boil with normal hop additions. Let rest for 15mins after boil and chill in an ice sink.

Dilute up to 23L. I'd take a couple of OG readings while diluting up to 23L in case it's getting too weak.

Now to find a cheap mash bag, I heard paint strainer bags are cheap and suitable...

eddieken

Post by eddieken » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Eoinmag sells bags, i have bought them and they are great.

http://custombiab.blogspot.com/

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:13 pm

We've just moved house so the business is not really up and running yet at the new address, it won't be long but we're still unpacking boxes, we'll have it up and running soon and are launching a new website with the actual full domain name.
So watch the space at www.custombiab.com we'll be there soon :)

By hot water for rinsing and mash out, use 80c water for the rinsing it will go some way to starting the mash out process.

joe_h

Post by joe_h » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks for the tips.

I see a lot of guides say to wrap the pot with something to insulate it during the mash. I've done a few of the extract kits from THBC which involve steeping a small amount of grain at 67degC. I've always kept the hob on one of the lowest settings to maintain the temperature at a constant 67 over the 30 minutes.

I don't see this being recommended on instructions - is there any reason why apart from preventing the bag being scorched on the base? Adding some form of spacer/cake-tray should help there. For a 90/120min mash I'd expect a large temperature drop otherwise.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:31 pm

joe_h wrote:Thanks for the tips.

I see a lot of guides say to wrap the pot with something to insulate it during the mash. I've done a few of the extract kits from THBC which involve steeping a small amount of grain at 67degC. I've always kept the hob on one of the lowest settings to maintain the temperature at a constant 67 over the 30 minutes.

I don't see this being recommended on instructions - is there any reason why apart from preventing the bag being scorched on the base? Adding some form of spacer/cake-tray should help there. For a 90/120min mash I'd expect a large temperature drop otherwise.

The bags are made from plastic hence the unwillingness generally to heat directly while mashing. The other issue is that you have no idea what the actual temperature of the mash is once you have an element on. The thermal mass of the mash is so large that you will have a totally different temperature down below to what is up top where you are generally measuring from. As in trad brewing, just insulate it and let it do it's thing.

joe_h

Post by joe_h » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 pm

EoinMag wrote:As in trad brewing, just insulate it and let it do it's thing.
This seems to come up a lot in brewing, the constant battle of eager enthusiasm VS patience. :wink:

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:54 pm

joe_h wrote:
EoinMag wrote:As in trad brewing, just insulate it and let it do it's thing.
This seems to come up a lot in brewing, the constant battle of eager enthusiasm VS patience. :wink:

Yeah they even have a slogan for it on the Yank forum "relax, don't worry, have a home brew" oh that and, "your brew is most likely not infected" followed by RDWHAHB..

joe_h

Post by joe_h » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Attempting my first all-grain BIAB this afternoon! Hoping to do it with this all-grain kit from THBC. :)