Anyone have a Braumeister that I could ask a few questions?

Just starting out with your first brew? Or just want to talk brewing in general? This is the forum you're looking for.
trevormealiff@gmail.com

Anyone have a Braumeister that I could ask a few questions?

Post by trevormealiff@gmail.com » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Hello all,
Does anyone in Ireland have a Braumeister 50L that I could pick their brains. For instance I have read that It's not necessary to sparge but what about the water left in the malt and the water that is boiled off. I have been adding 10L of sparge water but have no idea if this is too much or too little. I have hooked up a extraction system for the boil but I'm wondering weather it's too efficient. Up until now I have been fermenting in a conical Braumeister fermentor which isn't sealed but I understand that CO2 is heavier than air so it provides a protective layer over the now fermenting wort so why bother with a sealed fermentor, although I've put my last batch into a sealed fermentor. Actually I'd really like to join someone on their brew day as it would be a great way to learn the craft.
Thanks all.

Ciderhead
Beoir Member

Re: Anyone have a Braumeister that I could ask a few questio

Post by Ciderhead » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:34 am

NHC will give you more detail and have local clubs brewdays advice etc but as a quick response here;

For instance I have read that It's not necessary to sparge but what about the water left in the malt and the water that is boiled off.
Best to sparge but only need to rinse off the sugars off grain husks as your sugars are already in solution.

I have hooked up a extraction system for the boil but I'm wondering weather it's too efficient.
Sucking off more than 10L its too efficient.

Up until now I have been fermenting in a conical Braumeister fermentor which isn't sealed but I understand that CO2 is heavier than air so it provides a protective layer over the now fermenting wort so why bother with a sealed fermentor, although I've put my last batch into a sealed fermentor. Actually I'd really like to join someone on their brew day as it would be a great way to learn the craft.
Need to cover, stops fruit flies having an orgy

Thanks all.

irish_goat
Beoir Member

Post by irish_goat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:29 am

Whereabouts are you based Trevor? The braumiester conical fermenters come with a lid. Are you using it as that would be enough of a seal?

trevormealiff@gmail.com

Post by trevormealiff@gmail.com » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:37 am

Thanks for the replies
I'm in Strabane. I've kept the lid on the fermentor alright except for the odd peak in and that one time I stuck my head in and got a nose full of CO2. Also I've hooked up a fridge unit with a heater to keep the temp right for the fermentation.

Bier

Post by Bier » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:14 am

I have a 50l. Stopped sparging a long time ago. It made no difference on the BM and using the right equipment profile in beersmith will make planning your numbers easy. Better to pause half way through the mash and stir. I get about 85% mash efficiency repeatedly. There are some good discussions on those over on the braumeister forum.