Tesco to stock Irish Craft beer...

Introduce yourself in here, or just chat about anything that comes into your head.
andrew
Beoir Member

Tesco to stock Irish Craft beer...

Post by andrew » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:07 pm

I was talking to Richard from the Drinkstore yesterday and he was telling me that most of the Irish Craft Breweries have inked a deal to supply Tescos. Needless to say, he's very disappointed with this turn of events.

I'm quite conflicted myself. On the plus side, it would appear to be a good deal for the micros- they get to move volume and it cuts down on the logistics for them. However, I hope it doesn't come back to bite them on the arse when Tescos inevitably start dictating prices and selling below cost.

For me, I don't shop in Tescos and this is not going to make me start either. However, I do worry I won't have access to the full range of Irish Craft Brews anymore as the independent off-licenses suddenly find that they are not being supplied anymore. Or worse- we start losing independents when they are forced out of the market because they cannot compete at the price points.

Finally, I do wonder if Tescos appeals to the right demographic for craft brew. Or are we just seeing another Smithwicks Pale Ale play here.
Andrew
in Dublin

Stitch

Re: Tesco to stock Irish Craft beer...

Post by Stitch » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:17 pm

I spotted this a few weeks ago with O`Hara`s Irish Red being price matched with Aldi. The problem I have with buying from the supermarket is you don`t get that personal touch you do from the off licences that stock craft beer. For me it is more about the experience of going into the drink store and talking about the beer as much as the purchase! Since things went south with the economy in Ireland both myself and my wife try to support the small retailer and business more (even at a slighly higher price). I think the intimacy of the experience will be removed by Tesco and all you will be left with is a bottle of beer.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

Tube

Post by Tube » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Is this the brewers acting en bloc? Or is it individual deals?

I welcome any form of competition, but the few craft beers in Tesco are too expensive and I bypass them anyway.

Shiny
Beoir Member

Post by Shiny » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:47 pm

I remember taking this photo in Tesco a while ago and wondering what they were going to replace the Bulmers with...
I guess I have my answer now. I hope that it is a good thing in the long run, creates more awareness of craft beer and allows the micros to grow.
Fermenting -
Aging - Rocket Fuel Mead, East India 'HopChoc' Porter
Bottled - Sylvan Blonde, Imperial Stout
Brewing Blog

Spud 395

Post by Spud 395 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:53 pm

It also brings Irish craft to a far wider audience and I'm not just talking about the great unwashed. A lot of craft beer drinkers/supporters outside the big population centers have very little access to ICB's.
While having what I would consider a good off licence in the 2nd to nearest town to me, the only Irish beers they stock are Dungarvan and Porterhouse.
There are plenty of Irish beers I've yet to get my hands on and in that regard this would be a welcome development as far as I can see.

emmetg
Beoir Member

Post by emmetg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:15 pm

i think its overall a great thing for irish craft breweries and a bad thing for indo off licences.

giving a larger market to sell irish craft beer may lead to more demand for them for sale in bars leading to a furthering growth in market

we dont have a decient off licence or bar in my town for irish beer (or whiskey/rum) but we do have a tesco for instance
fermenting: X
secondary: X
racking: Bremore Bitter (really bitter)
drinking: mystery beers well aged in my shed

CDow
Beoir Member

Post by CDow » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Made a very rare visit to a Tesco today, the only ICB on display was the O'Hara range.

Does the deal include Tesco UK?

Tube

Post by Tube » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Actually, on a related subject Dungarvan have gone nationwide with Supervalu this week.
Spud 395 wrote: A lot of craft beer drinkers/supporters outside the big population centers have very little access to ICB's.
That is a good point.

I sometimes forget how lucky I have it. I can get Shandon Stout for €3.50 a pint! Which makes it hard to justify a 500ml bottle of stout for €2.80+ from the offy.

Tube

Post by Tube » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:58 pm

We probably should have articles on the landing page about Supervalu and Tesco to raise awareness in otherwise dry counties.

nigel_c
Beoir Member

Post by nigel_c » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Will be interesting to see who signs up for this. Probably notices Superquinn stocking the porterhouse and brewdog etc and are matching the range available in the competition.

Good for the product range and distribution but it could easily go in the the way of the produce and beef supplier they have. What happens is normally they will go in and say " We will take the lot but will only give you X amount"

This is where not only the brewers but the local producers and suppliers need to be strong and try hold there own.
Just because they are big dont let them walk all over the small guy.

Nigel

Dungarvan Brewing Company

Post by Dungarvan Brewing Company » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Can't speak for the other breweries but we were approached by Tesco and decided not to work with them based on many of the reasons which have been outlined above.

On the other hand, we are going nationwide with Supervalu as we see this as a way to get to the "dry counties" and places outside of our normal delivery routes while still dealing with owner-managed businesses.

nigel_c
Beoir Member

Post by nigel_c » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Dungarvan Brewing Company wrote:we are going nationwide with Supervalu
will you be supplying the rest of the musgrave group? Eurospar , Superquinn, Londis, Mace , Centra?

Great to hear someone standing up to the the big guys. I will be getting my bottles of black rock stout from Mchughs in Kilbarrack regardless of how you supply to.

Dungarvan Brewing Company

Post by Dungarvan Brewing Company » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:57 am

nigel_c wrote: will you be supplying the rest of the musgrave group? Eurospar , Superquinn, Londis, Mace , Centra?
Just Supervalu for now. Eurospar, Londis and Mace not part of the Musgrave group. We had been in talks with Superquinn for a long time, which fell asunder when they got into trouble last year but just very recently started up again.
nigel_c wrote:Great to hear someone standing up to the the big guys. I will be getting my bottles of black rock stout from Mchughs in Kilbarrack regardless of how you supply to.
Aiden will be delighted to hear it! We would prefer to stay with the independent, dedicated craft beer off licenses but, as covered above, we want to be widely available to the greater public too, so outside of the main cities there isn't always an option of a McHugh's-style off license. Appreciate the support though :D

andrew
Beoir Member

Post by andrew » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:53 am

Dungarvan Brewing Company wrote:Can't speak for the other breweries but we were approached by Tesco and decided not to work with them based on many of the reasons which have been outlined above.
Richard did mention that to me (as well as telling me which of the micros were going with Tescos).

Supervalu I can agree with. At least the profits stay in Ireland and they also are doing a major push into promoting Irish artisan products.
Andrew
in Dublin

Saruman
Beoir Member

Post by Saruman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:09 am

Does that mean Centra too then I wonder.... My only local shop and there is nothing for me to buy when I run out or want something other than what I make myself, as in I have pale ale but want a stout. Be great to pop over the road and get some Black Rock.

I can understand drinkstore being a little worried but I don't think they should. Inevitably if someone get's hooked on good beer from Tesco, they will want to expand their horizons. Once you break that "I only drink...." mentality you really do want to experiment with as much variety as you can get and Tesco will never be able to supply that. That's were the quality off licences like Drinkstore come in. At worst they will see no difference. At best they might see a slight increase in sales from people expanding their horizons.

I do shop in Tesco and buy the odd few bottles of beer sometimes, such as recently deciding €1.99 for O'Hara's stout was a great bargain so grabbed 4.
Tesco made €8 in beer sales off me. Had I gone in to drinkstore I would have spent between €50 to €100 (sometimes more) on interesting stuff.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer & brewing.
Twitter - @taleofale
Facebook