It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Text Size
Login

Starting a brewery: the megathread

Want some information on a favourite craft beer or want to share your own thoughts with the community? This is the place to do it.

Postby ArthurM » Wed May 20, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi Guys,

I've been reading up on the various requirements for licensing a microbrewery over the last few days, and noted the requirement for a Revenue bond.

I came across this publication from Revenue yesterday, published this month, found here:

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.revenue.ie%2Fen%2Fabout%2Ffoi%2Fs16%2Fexcise%2Ftax-warehouses%2Fpart2-breweries-microbreweries-cider.pdf&ei=haZcVeXhMIL_UtPYgJgP&usg=AFQjCNFsqxUajCcdJ6rmcd-HmZYOOEbmCA&sig2=xY79_XzU-b3ZdLS_PVqGyA&bvm=bv.93756505,d.d24

In section 2.2, there are separate provisions for microbreweries. Not being overly familiar with this area, it would lead me to think that the issue of a bond is now gone for a brewery producing beer which would have a bond penalty of less than €10k.

Any thoughts or am I missing something?
ArthurM

Postby Saruman » Wed May 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Interesting. I don't know what that 10k figure means in real terms. It might be quite low and really only applies to a brewpub or nano brewery then.

Anyone else know?
Reuben Gray - Beoir Chairman

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer & brewing.
Twitter - @taleofale
Facebook
Breweryjobs.ie - Submit or look for a job in the brewing industry.
Saruman
Beoir Member

Postby ArthurM » Wed May 20, 2015 4:43 pm

I'm not too sure, but I would interpret it as being quite high, as the existing/previous standard penalty is quoted as being:

standard bond penalty of a minimum of 10% of potential duty on stock at month

So if that is the standard bond penalty and they are saying in a case where that is less than €10k, it should be a fairly substantial amount of product. Not sure though.
ArthurM

Postby TheBeerNut » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:38 pm

There's a free panel discussion on Building a Drinks Business in Cork on Wednesday evening at 6.30. It's in the Opera House and Sam Black is participating. Free drinks too. Book here.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby HomeBrewWest » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Just an update on this:
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/setting-up-a-small-brewery-1-day-courses-387-c.asp

Speidel have just confirmed that there will be an unprecedented Speidel presence at the June 30th one day event. This really is a once off.

Reason I'm posting though is that it will be advertised in a major publication on Monday, and we expect it to sold out very soon thereafter.

The course is all about how to expedite the paperwork associated with setting up a Speidel microbrewery. There will be demo on a 200 litre Speidel on the day, and Speidel will talk lots about their systems. But the brewing is the easiest task by far. The real challenge is in dealing with all the regulatory bodies.
HomeBrewWest
Beoir Member

Postby HomeBrewWest » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:31 pm

Sold out as expected. But there has been one cancellation, so email us at sales@homebrewwest.com if anyone wants the last seat on this.

I suppose we can let the cat out of the bag at this stage, not only are Speidel attending but the owner of the company is also going to be here. They are a large German manufacturing company, they do much more that microbrewery equipment. So this is a big commitment from them.
HomeBrewWest
Beoir Member

Previous

Return to Craft Beer Talk