It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 pm

Text Size
Login

Starting a brewery: the megathread

Want some information on a favourite craft beer or want to share your own thoughts with the community? This is the place to do it.

Postby Tube » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:10 am

df
Last edited by Tube on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tube

Postby Dr Jacoby » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:43 am

Maybe an FAQ section or something similar would be helpful, at least for laying out the basic facts. The thread could still be used to tease out specific points on which there is room for reasonable disagreement or differing opinions.

I don't know very much about this stuff but I'd be happy to organise any information that was submitted for the purposes of a dedicated knowledge basis article (or whatever).
Dr Jacoby
Beoir Member

Postby DEMPSEY » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:48 am

paleale1993 wrote:We have an old 2 story grain warehouse around 2,000 sq ft in size. Though this would need some work. We have inquired and a 1000 sq ft industrial unit from the council would cost around 5,000 a year. I'd be interested to know whether people would think that a 2 story building would be more suitable in the long run, as in the brief research that I have done a gravity fed brewing system would be preferable which would suit the old building but not always suitable such as meeting the food safety standards would be easier in an industrial unit.

I have loads of other questions but firstly peoples view on the building would be great.

2 story or 1 story would not make a difference to the layout of your brewhouse. 1 story is standard as per industrial units and you using pumps to move wort and beer around. The cost of converting your building brewery use is what you need to consider and after is this building pretty enough as a tourist aspect.
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/.
deos miscendarum discipule
DEMPSEY

Postby paleale1993 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. We will definitely go and speak to some brewers but first we need to try and build up our knowledge a great deal as I dont want to waste anyones time.

We will definitely need to weigh up the more sterile but maybe more suitable industrial unit versus the older building.
paleale1993

Postby nigel_c » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:27 pm

Some amount to go through. If only someone made up a "Starting a brewery" for Dummies book. That would be great.
Is there any new intensives / tax relief / grants / starter business packages to encourage people to take the plunge and turn pro and open up a new brewery?
This is my dreamy go to thread but a more concise list i think would be great for anyone interested in opening. Maybe with the help for some of the micros who have been there and done that.
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Postby upsidedowna » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

nigel_c wrote:Some amount to go through. If only someone made up a "Starting a brewery" for Dummies book. That would be great.
Is there any new intensives / tax relief / grants / starter business packages to encourage people to take the plunge and turn pro and open up a new brewery?
This is my dreamy go to thread but a more concise list i think would be great for anyone interested in opening. Maybe with the help for some of the micros who have been there and done that.

Such books exist. There's the Microbrewer's Handbook
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microbrewers-Ha ... 317&sr=1-1

And the Brewers' Association Guide to Starting your own Brewery
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewers-Associa ... d_sim_b_21

But neither of them tell you the specific legal things you need to know to start up a microbrewery in this country. But starting a business shouldn't be too easy. It's not the sort of thing you want to find yourself sleepwalking into.
upsidedowna
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 pm

It could be a nice little earner for someone: put the research in, write it up, and publish as a Kindle Single or similar sort of ebook.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby upsidedowna » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm

TheBeerNut wrote:It could be a nice little earner for someone: put the research in, write it up, and publish as a Kindle Single or similar sort of ebook.

I'd just wait for the bootleg-version.
upsidedowna
Beoir Member

Postby Brewster » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

I found this thread really interesting. I am considering setting up a microbrewery and I would love to hear from anyone that has thoughts on the subject or ever considered developing a microbrewery. Any and all comments welcome!

Cheers
Brewster
Beoir Member

Postby KeeganAles » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:51 pm

As a healthy dose of harsh reality, here's a sobering story of a successful UK brewery that can't afford to stay open.
KeeganAles
Beoir Member

Postby Ramhar Trá » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi All,
Here is my tender that went live a few days ago. If you know anyone/company interested in quoting please share the information.

"Supply, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of a Turn-Key 20hl Micro-Brewery" System Ref: 76888, Tender reference: MBGY001
https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/supplier/publictenders

This is a little about me on LinkedIn.
I am in Tuam, Co. Galway
http://ie.linkedin.com/pub/sarah-roarty/19/340/349

Thanks!
Ramhar Trá

Postby Stitch » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:01 am

Hi Ramhar Trá

I work for a company that does work for Diageo on the process control side and also for a number of distilleries. I will send you a pm on this.

Rob
Stitch

Postby Johnson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:02 pm

My brother and I are seriously considering setting up a micro brewery.We are both getting sick of the office :lol: :lol: .Could anyone recommend a good supplier of brewing kit in Ireland or even the UK?
Johnson

Postby Drum » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:44 am

Johnson wrote:My brother and I are seriously considering setting up a micro brewery.We are both getting sick of the office :lol: :lol: .Could anyone recommend a good supplier of brewing kit in Ireland or even the UK?

Just finished reading this thread. theres an english site listed somewhere in the first 5 or 6 pages that supplies and fits micros but im not going back looking for the link. And if you're really considering starting a brewery i would seriously recommend going through this thread with a fine tooth comb and a friend with OCD to spot the bits you will miss. But i sincerely wish you the best of luck with it
Drum

Postby Drum » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:48 am

Great thread by the way, Thanks everyone .
Drum

PreviousNext

Return to Craft Beer Talk