It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Text Size
Login

What beer would you like to see us brew?

Want some information on a favourite craft beer or want to share your own thoughts with the community? This is the place to do it.

Postby kay » Tue May 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Larkins wrote:I agree on the stout - I haven't tasted a credible alternative to Guinness yet.

Murphys and beamish don't float your boat??

Have people checked out the Bru Nitro. The best craft stout i've tasted. Had some hop action going on, pretty interesting to me. Am looking for it on the net and it doesn't seem to exist.

Have found Plenty of stouts to be dull and lacking some head.
kay

Postby Larkins » Tue May 02, 2017 1:14 pm

I actually don't really like Beamish myself but I meant in the non big beer sense - both of those are part of Heineken.. I'll check out the Bru Dubh - I'd like to get it on draft though if anyone knows where it's on tap?
Larkins

Postby kay » Tue May 02, 2017 1:23 pm

I prefer it bottled really.

Hate being disappointed by buying a craft beer on tap and it not tasting great.

There is that history of guinness only tasting good in certain pubs and all that, prob affects all stouts. I reckon ya'd be doing well to get a pub with a good run of the lines on all it's craft beers.
kay

Postby kay » Tue May 02, 2017 1:31 pm

See some one up stream recommended St Mels ales. Had some of their IPA's, seasonal i think, that were really nice and pretty unique flavour. Beer with balls. Red labeled IPA was best imo.

Speaking of Stout thought, found their Stout terrible. Absolute pi s. Don't get the raisins and oat buss and really don't taste it.

Stout is a tricky option really. Hard to matck the tried and trusted really due to the drink being so perfect already.
kay

Postby Larkins » Tue May 02, 2017 2:29 pm

I haven't tried the St. Mels yet but will give it a go this week if O'briens have it in.

I use to drink only Guinness so I remember the whole thing about refusing to drink in certain pubs whose Guinness didn't taste right.. now I find it all tastes like that :o though.. did they change the process or did my taste buds change? I am pretty sure they make an alcohol-free paste that gets shipped for the international markets (just add h2o and alcohol) but when they were doing all that did they change the process for Ireland as well? Don't know. I like the nitrogenated approach so I wouldn't want to change that but I would want to do something a little bit different with the flavour profile.
Larkins

Postby irish_goat » Wed May 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Larkins wrote:I haven't tried the St. Mels yet but will give it a go this week if O'briens have it in.

I use to drink only Guinness so I remember the whole thing about refusing to drink in certain pubs whose Guinness didn't taste right.. now I find it all tastes like that :o though.. did they change the process or did my taste buds change? I am pretty sure they make an alcohol-free paste that gets shipped for the international markets (just add h2o and alcohol) but when they were doing all that did they change the process for Ireland as well? Don't know. I like the nitrogenated approach so I wouldn't want to change that but I would want to do something a little bit different with the flavour profile.

They make a roast barley extract and then add it to pale beer, probably brewed to a high ABV, then dilute it back down. The extract is made in Dublin then shipped around the world to their international breweries but it's used in Dublin as well. Whether it has an effect on the finished product or not, I can't say.

I think the problem with Guinness is that they have had to dumb the flavour down to align themselves more with the macro lagers, plus, it's easier to get people to drink a session of several pints of stout if it's not very full bodied and flavourful.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby Larkins » Fri May 05, 2017 7:32 pm

What does everyone think of lager? Which ones do you like which ones don't you like?
Larkins

Postby B-Hop » Sat May 06, 2017 1:27 am

Larkins wrote:What does everyone think of lager? Which ones do you like which ones don't you like?

Black lager.

Pale lagers are obsolete when you can get the almighty Spaten in Aldi for under 2 euro.
B-Hop

Previous

Return to Craft Beer Talk