It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Text Size
Login

What beer would you like to see us brew?

Want some information on a favourite craft beer or want to share your own thoughts with the community? This is the place to do it.

Postby Larkins » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi All

I am just starting a new brewery in Kilcoole with my brother - feel free to ask anything you like about it- it has ended up being a much bigger adventure than we had imagined at first!

I thought I would put it to the forum to see what you would like to see out there that you feel hasn't been done here or that has but maybe you's make some changes.. no guarantees that we could do any better but we are up for a challenge that's different to the recipes we already have/are working on.
Larkins

Postby TheBeerNut » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Oooh. I still think brown ale is under-represented in Irish brewing. We're down a good oatmeal IPA since Goodbye Blue Monday left us too.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby brian_c » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 pm

TheBeerNut wrote:We're down a good oatmeal IPA since Goodbye Blue Monday left us too.

The current Hope seasonal is filling that niche for me at the moment.

Dark Mild all the way.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Primary:
Conditioning:
Bottled:
Kegged: Mild porter, Brown porter
Planning: Lagers. Ales. Stouts.

What is so bad about being drunk? ASK A GLASS OF WATER
brian_c
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:51 pm

TheBeerNut wrote:Oooh. I still think brown ale is under-represented in Irish brewing. We're down a good oatmeal IPA since Goodbye Blue Monday left us too.

Brown ale imho tends to be very bland.

As for the other, as Brian said, Hope's oatmeal IPA is exceptional.

I still find stout under represented. Very few micro breweries do the style, for whatever reason, but even tonight I had a pint of Francis followed by a Guinness.
Tube

Postby B-Hop » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:28 am

Schwarzbier

Please.
B-Hop

Postby Larkins » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:22 pm

I like the sound of a brown ale but personally I am not a particular fan of overly bitter beer - what are your thoughts on that?

I agree on the stout - I hate the way Diageo have the market cornered with Guinness but then I wondered whether there would be enough demand or what I'd have to do to convince die-hard Guinness drinkers to try something new. We can always have a go at it though and see how we get on! What do you think Guinness get wrong?

For the Schwarzbier, I don't have any experience in that beyond drinking a few when i lived in German 17 years ago but could be an interesting one to investigate. Is there anyone doing a Schwarz in Ireland at the moment? I haven't seen any.
Larkins

Postby nigel_c » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:00 pm

How adventitious are you? :?:
Lots of different styles haven't been touched.
As far as stouts go, a nice rich stout with a decent % of brown & chocolate malt will hold its own once a stout drinkers can bring them self to sample it. American stout is also a nice option. ( plus people like to see American on a tap badge)
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Postby Larkins » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:17 pm

We are a start up - about to run our first test runs now before going into production so we have lots of capacity and time... I'd say that right now we're in a pretty adventurous mood! What did you have in mind?

I agree on the stout - I haven't tasted a credible alternative to Guinness yet.
Larkins

Postby oblivious » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Not overly adventures, but a wit or hefe with a good yeast

I would second the stout, but look towards a London Porter, brown malt is just not nearly used enough
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com
oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:59 pm

There are good alternatives to Guinness but amazingly they're not widely available. I reckon it's a niche that's being missed.
Tube

Postby andrew » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:28 pm

[quote="Larkins"I agree on the stout - I haven't tasted a credible alternative to Guinness yet.[/quote]
O'Hara's Leann Follain or Porterhouse's Celebration...

I'd second a brown actually. Been drinking a lot of St Mel's recently.
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby B-Hop » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Larkins wrote:Is there anyone doing a Schwarz in Ireland at the moment? I haven't seen any.

Nope.

Strawberry milkshake IPAs but no schwarzbier...

Be heroes lads.
B-Hop

Postby B-Hop » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:41 pm

That strawberry milkshake IPA is amazing by he way.

Rascals are knocking out some quality stuff.
B-Hop

Postby Larkins » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Cheers I'll check out those stouts and the strawberry milkshake IPA just in case anyone was wondering I am only just back in Ireland after 14 years away so still getting fully up to speed with what everyone is up to. Agreed we are a fan here of Rascals.

Stout is on our list now - we had been thinking about it but I now we'll start researching it - will be fun playing with nitrogenation!

I need to refresh my memory on Schwarzbeers - has been years! I'll see what I can find.

We are about to start our first recipe runs on the new equipment - Do Beoir members ever do taste testing?
Larkins

Postby B-Hop » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Larkins wrote:

I need to refresh my memory on Schwarzbeers - has been years! I'll see what I can find.

https://www.obrienswine.ie/brewdog-zeit ... l-can.html
B-Hop

Next

Return to Craft Beer Talk