Beoir#3 - It's long past time

Want some information on a favourite craft beer or want to share your own thoughts with the community? This is the place to do it.

Gravity

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:02 pm

~1.060
83%
~1.080
17%

Total votes: 6

TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Re: Beoir#3 - It's long past time

Post by TheBeerNut » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:24 pm

Got an email from Conor today to say he's making arrangements with Seamus regarding how they're going to do this. Once everything's in order on their side he'll get back to me.
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel

andrew
Beoir Member

Post by andrew » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:05 pm

I believe that they are going to be at Killarney too- so that ticks two boxes.
Andrew
in Dublin

irish_goat
Beoir Member

Post by irish_goat » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:06 pm

I'll have bottles of mild at Alfie's on Saturday if anyone wants a taste.

andrew
Beoir Member

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:16 pm

irish_goat wrote:I'll have bottles of mild at Alfie's on Saturday if anyone wants a taste.
Sounds like a plan :lol:
Andrew
in Dublin

irish_goat
Beoir Member

Post by irish_goat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:49 pm

Mixed reviews for my mild on Saturday! Reuben, Andrew and Richard all had a taste and it was also in the competition. It scored a 34, which I think is a fair reflection on it. The general feedback from the judges was that it was fine but quite one dimensional and needed more speciality malts. My Whitbread yeast was 5 months old when it arrived and there was no life in it after 36 hours so I pitched some dry notty as it was the only other I had. I think this caused it to attenuate a bit more so the beer was a bit drier than I'd have liked. I'd like to rebrew, maybe use a bit more crystal and brown malts and get some fresher yeast but...

My overall thinking though is that even if we produce a decent mild it won't be a showstopper. I happily sup away at pints of cask mild in Wetherspoons but it's rare I find one that's particularly noteworthy. I can't imagine people will be rushing to look up Beoir after having a pint of mild.

A suggestion that did come up though was to stick with mild but jazz it up in someway e.g. with a fruit addition or more bitterness. Raison and peach mild anyone? I can think of a guy in Wexford who would probably be up for brewing that anyway. :wink:

KeeganAles
Beoir Member

Post by KeeganAles » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:30 pm

Thomas' mild was nice, but much paler than I'd expect, and could do with a bit more punch. Lashing in the chocolate malt, in my experience, sorts both of those issues.

I agree that many dark milds wouldn't excite your average punter, but there's a wide enough range in the style that if we picked something on the darker end - think session porter - then it could work.

My entry from Saturday also scored a 34 (though one of the judge wrote that dark mild is "not the most exciting of styles"!) but I'm glad to share bottles and recipes if there's interest.

andrew
Beoir Member

Post by andrew » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:47 am

Bumping this because if we need to get something ready for the ICBF then we need to be thinking about kicking something off in the next couple of weeks. I will give Seamus/Carlow a prod and see if they are up for it, otherwise I think we need to think about another brewer- I have a few offers from other breweries that are really biting at the bit to do a brew with us.
Andrew
in Dublin

Saruman
Beoir Member

Post by Saruman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:01 am

St Mel's really want to do something. I brought it up with Liam and Eoin at Killarney. Eoin was an archaeologist by trade, I figured some sort of gruit type thing. The local interesting fauna around Longford are apparently Bilberries. Don't think that would be ready for September as it would require some tinkering first but it's one for the list.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer & brewing.
Twitter - @taleofale
Facebook

oblivious
Beoir Member

Post by oblivious » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:06 am

There's lots of elderflower about :D
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com

Saruman
Beoir Member

Post by Saruman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:12 am

Elderflower and Billberries... hmm
Reuben Gray

Twitter - @taleofale
Facebook

andrew
Beoir Member

Post by andrew » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:15 am

Saruman wrote:St Mel's really want to do something. I brought it up with Liam and Eoin at Killarney. Eoin was an archaeologist by trade, I figured some sort of gruit type thing. The local interesting fauna around Longford are apparently Bilberries. Don't think that would be ready for September as it would require some tinkering first but it's one for the list.
That would be awesome for a Christmas/winter seasonal. For what it is worth, I don't think bilberries/fraughans are ready for picking until late July/early August.
Andrew
in Dublin

andrew
Beoir Member

Post by andrew » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:15 am

oblivious wrote:There's lots of elderflower about :D
Better get it now, it's starting to turn...
Andrew
in Dublin

nigel_c
Beoir Member

Post by nigel_c » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Elderflower saison is really nice. Lovely and floral.

irish_goat
Beoir Member

Post by irish_goat » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:13 am

andrew wrote:Bumping this because if we need to get something ready for the ICBF then we need to be thinking about kicking something off in the next couple of weeks. I will give Seamus/Carlow a prod and see if they are up for it, otherwise I think we need to think about another brewer- I have a few offers from other breweries that are really biting at the bit to do a brew with us.
Any word?

Saruman
Beoir Member

Post by Saruman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:03 am

If Carlow can't commit just yet, we need to get the ball rolling with someone else for now. Who was the next interested party?
Reuben Gray

Twitter - @taleofale
Facebook